AFTER MY TATTOO
Post Appointment Healing: The full, deep healing process takes 6-8 weeks; however, your visible top layers of skin will heal after 2 weeks. Your cosmetic tattoo will experience a few normal, mild side effects (slight redness, itchiness and peeling), which clients have compared to the feeling of sunburn. Expect your tattoo to appear darker for the first 3 to 5 days. After day 4 or 5, light peeling will occur, revealing lighter and softer impressions. Long-term aftercare is crucial for the longevity of your cosmetic tattoo. More information is available on our After Care section.
The results and longevity of your new tattoo will depend greatly on your lifestyle, sun exposure and how you take care of your skin during the healing process and beyond. Each client’s skin responds differently, both in the length of time it takes to heal, and the number of sessions required to achieve your desired results and colour retention. This information acts as a guideline only; we cannot guarantee your results.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Immediately following the procedure, you may experience minimal discomfort on the treated area. Many clients describe a similar sensation as a sunburn, with redness and swelling. Symptoms will subside within 24 to 48 hours.
During the first week, the tattooed area will initially appear to be darker and bolder in color and more sharply defined than the final result.
Minimal scabbing or flaking of the skin is normal throughout the first few weeks of the healing period. To avoid loss of pigmentation, DO NOT itch or remove scabs. They will naturally fall off on their own.
Adjustments and touch-ups can be made only after the healing period is complete.
During the healing process, please avoid the following:
- Application of makeup on the tattooed area for 2 weeks.
- Direct water on the tattoo and the use of cleansers (except lip blush), soaps and heavy creams. Wash around the areas using a cleaning cloth or oil-free makeup wipe.
- Vaseline and any other petroleum based products.
- Activities that will cause sweating for 10 days.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs or other bodies of water for 14 days.
- Exposure to the sun and tanning beds can cause fading and discoloration of the pigment. Once completely healed, always apply sunscreen (30 SPF or greater) on the treated area.
- Laser light therapy, as it can darken/lighten or distort the pigment.
- Exfoliation products, retinol acids or AHA’s on the area for 30 days after the appointment to avoid premature fading.
- Massages, facials or intensive skin treatments.